Medium Please Take Down the Clapping Hands
The clapping hands tell us nothing. Some people still believe that we’re getting paid for them, or maybe they think they’re fooling us into thinking they’ve read the article.
Whenever I get claps on my articles, I check to see if the person has read it by going to stats to see if my numbers have gone up on reading. I can safely say that 99.9% of the time, they haven’t.
Writers, why do you give claps on articles that you don’t read? Do you think you’re fooling us into thinking you read it? You aren’t, or at least not me.
How to help your fellow writer
I care about my fellow writer. If you do too, here’s how you can help:
- Read the article all the way through to the end.
- Don’t speed read
- Leave a comment on the article that shows that you read it.
- If you’ve read it all the way to the end, go ahead and clap if you want to.
- If you take the time to start reading an article but find that it’s too long or boring for you, do this: Stay on the page and scroll through it slowly so the person can get paid.
- Always be loyal to those who read your articles.
Medium will continue to adjust the algorithm to increase their profits by making it harder for you to earn. Let’s see if we can outsmart them.