There are cat people, and there are dog people. I’m a cat and dog person. I know of people who absolutely hate cats. My brother, a reformed cat hater, said that many men hate cats because you can’t control them. In all fairness, there are women cat haters, too. Here are some other reasons I’ve heard as to why people hate cats:
- You can’t train them like you can a dog. Well, no, you can’t. They’re a cat, not a dog. That’s like saying I don’t like bananas because I can’t make a lemon pie out of them.
- They’re dirty. They are probably the cleanest animals around. Knowing that some people give their cats baths, I asked the vet if I should bathe my cat. He said no, cats do a good job of keeping themselves clean.
- Cats will suck the breath out of babies. You don’t really believe that old wives tale do you? Your cat might purr that baby to sleep, though.
- Cats aren´t playful. Have you ever seen a cat bat a wadded-up piece of aluminum foil around the house? Probably not; you hate cats.
- Cats aren´t smart. You don´t think so? Well, that cat got you to clean up the glass of water she shoved off the table.
How cats show love
Cats show love in many different ways; cat owners know this. I had a cat that would bring me a twig every time she came in from outside. One time, she brought me a live baby bunny and gently put it down at my feet. I loved that cat, but she got hit by a car. I no longer let cats that own me go outside. That was a hard lesson learned.
My present cat, Annabelle Lee, jumps on the table while I´m working on the computer and purrs in my ear. She lays down on the keyboard if I ignore her love. If she wants me to pet her, she’ll pat me on the arm with her paw.
Don’t Mess with Cats; They’ll get even
As I said in the beginning, my brother is a reformed cat hater. When he was in his twenties, he decided to get a couple of cats to give them a try. Guys in their twenties aren’t that mature. One morning before going to work, he was vacuuming the carpet and thought it would be funny to chase the cats around the house with the vacuum. When he came home from work he discovered the cats had pooped on his vacuum.
That evidently didn’t teach him a lesson. The next time he tormented the cats, he went out to his motorcycle to go to work only to discover that a cat had sprayed in his motorcycle helmet. He worked on a military naval base at the time, and if he drove a motorcycle to work, he wasn’t allowed on base without a helmet. He had to put it on and drive quite a way through the base. After that experience, he decided to grow up and stop messing with cats.
I’m happy to say that he became a lover of cats. He had a cat that lived to 13 years old. He came home one day to discover that she had unexpectedly died. He was so distraught that he had to take a week off of work to mourn.
So as you can see, although cats are not dogs, they are smart, loving, and loyal; but you never want to mess with a cat.